Skip to main content

The making of a sphere jig for the wood lathe, on the fly.

Aluminum block on wood lathe. 
My goal is to create a sphere jig, (sounds so much better than a ball jig). First things first, I bought the One Way drill jig at the symposium, in Phoenix this year, with the thought of mounting a router. I never thought I would be using it on aluminum. This picture shows my first attempt at making a "T" washer to use to bolt the sphere jig.




The second picture has the jig repositioned, parallel to the bed ways, I like this position much better, as it allows me to plunge to the depth I require. Then I reposition it, toward the center by + 1/8" or so. Also you need to play with the speed of the lathe. I believe I was some where around 250-300 rpm.





This piece is a cut off, I never measured the thickness. it is just thicker than the 2 enclosed bearing I plan to mount. Also it's thicker because I wanted to add girth, to ensure more rigidity. This picture show the center knocked out. I used the router to go as thin as I thought necessary to ensure it wouldn't fall into router bit, and more than likely cause problems, in a big way.  

This is the finished product. It has a smaller diameter ring to sit at the bottom of the two bearings, the second ring, washer is the size of the bed ways. My thought is that if it sized correctly, it help in centering it under the sphere, in the bed ways. Also the shaft ways have two different ID's. The first is accept a bushing washer, mounted base to secure the alignment of the bearings. The second is the diameter to accept the threaded bolt.

This is the block left from the bedway washer. To be used as the post. I drilled it with a colt drill bit, the closest one I had to the diameter I need for the shaft to be mounted in. Look at those shaving, great job by that bit, as I expected.

This is base plate being drilled for bolts (screws) to mount the post body. It also shows the bedway washers that will mount the jig to the lathe. ( I had to modify a little). I pretty much had to stop here, as I have to purchase the bolts. 

  The post body with the shaft mounted, I reused the shaft from the wooden jig i made for a sphere, some time ago. I didn't like the performance of that jig. 

On the drill press

Here a closer look at the washers to mount to bedways

The parts I have created so far.

Shows how I cut the aluminum block, with my delta bandsaw and a new blade, purchased yesterday at Woodcraft Store.
I can't wait to complete this, and make some some sphere's, using burls encapsulated with resin. Stay tuned in for more updates......



 Completed sphere jig.....
My first ball from the sphere jig

Sphere jig at work. 

Time for sanding

Sphere jig at work












I added an additional plate at the bottom to do even larger sphere.


Washer turned from same block.


Cutting 10-32 x 2" down to size.


<script language=javascript type="text/javascript" src="http://ss.webring.com/navbar?f=j;y=gmerchant;u=defurl"> </script> <center>Powered by <a href="http://dir.webring.com/rw" target=_top>WebRing</a>.</center> <!--optional--> <noscript><center><table bgcolor=gray cellspacing=0 border=2><tr> <td><table cellpadding=2 cellspacing=0 border=0><tr><td align=center> <font face=arial size=-1>This site is a member of WebRing. <br>To browse visit <a href="http://ss.webring.com/navbar?f=l;y=gmerchant;u=defurl"> Here</a>.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table> </center></noscript>

Comments

  1. Wondering, if the above jig could be used with a bench or standing drill press? Your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wondering, if the above jig could be used with a bench or standing drill press? Your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. RPM'S WOULD BE THE MOST CONCERNING. AT THE LATHE, I'M TURNING AT 2000-2500 RPM. ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. GIVE IT TRY, AND LET KNOW HOW IT GOES

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Home made deep hollow system and bar

Turnings. A wood adventure