Skip to main content

The making of a sphere jig for the wood lathe, on the fly.

Aluminum block on wood lathe. 
My goal is to create a sphere jig, (sounds so much better than a ball jig). First things first, I bought the One Way drill jig at the symposium, in Phoenix this year, with the thought of mounting a router. I never thought I would be using it on aluminum. This picture shows my first attempt at making a "T" washer to use to bolt the sphere jig.




The second picture has the jig repositioned, parallel to the bed ways, I like this position much better, as it allows me to plunge to the depth I require. Then I reposition it, toward the center by + 1/8" or so. Also you need to play with the speed of the lathe. I believe I was some where around 250-300 rpm.





This piece is a cut off, I never measured the thickness. it is just thicker than the 2 enclosed bearing I plan to mount. Also it's thicker because I wanted to add girth, to ensure more rigidity. This picture show the center knocked out. I used the router to go as thin as I thought necessary to ensure it wouldn't fall into router bit, and more than likely cause problems, in a big way.  

This is the finished product. It has a smaller diameter ring to sit at the bottom of the two bearings, the second ring, washer is the size of the bed ways. My thought is that if it sized correctly, it help in centering it under the sphere, in the bed ways. Also the shaft ways have two different ID's. The first is accept a bushing washer, mounted base to secure the alignment of the bearings. The second is the diameter to accept the threaded bolt.

This is the block left from the bedway washer. To be used as the post. I drilled it with a colt drill bit, the closest one I had to the diameter I need for the shaft to be mounted in. Look at those shaving, great job by that bit, as I expected.

This is base plate being drilled for bolts (screws) to mount the post body. It also shows the bedway washers that will mount the jig to the lathe. ( I had to modify a little). I pretty much had to stop here, as I have to purchase the bolts. 

  The post body with the shaft mounted, I reused the shaft from the wooden jig i made for a sphere, some time ago. I didn't like the performance of that jig. 

On the drill press

Here a closer look at the washers to mount to bedways

The parts I have created so far.

Shows how I cut the aluminum block, with my delta bandsaw and a new blade, purchased yesterday at Woodcraft Store.
I can't wait to complete this, and make some some sphere's, using burls encapsulated with resin. Stay tuned in for more updates......



 Completed sphere jig.....
My first ball from the sphere jig

Sphere jig at work. 

Time for sanding

Sphere jig at work












I added an additional plate at the bottom to do even larger sphere.


Washer turned from same block.


Cutting 10-32 x 2" down to size.


<script language=javascript type="text/javascript" src="http://ss.webring.com/navbar?f=j;y=gmerchant;u=defurl"> </script> <center>Powered by <a href="http://dir.webring.com/rw" target=_top>WebRing</a>.</center> <!--optional--> <noscript><center><table bgcolor=gray cellspacing=0 border=2><tr> <td><table cellpadding=2 cellspacing=0 border=0><tr><td align=center> <font face=arial size=-1>This site is a member of WebRing. <br>To browse visit <a href="http://ss.webring.com/navbar?f=l;y=gmerchant;u=defurl"> Here</a>.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table> </center></noscript>

Comments

  1. Wondering, if the above jig could be used with a bench or standing drill press? Your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wondering, if the above jig could be used with a bench or standing drill press? Your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. RPM'S WOULD BE THE MOST CONCERNING. AT THE LATHE, I'M TURNING AT 2000-2500 RPM. ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. GIVE IT TRY, AND LET KNOW HOW IT GOES

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wow I can not express the excitement I am enjoying in the creation of this piece. The final is a donated scrap of ivory, hooray. I have never turned ivory before. Truly something special. This vessel, is a song ebony and ivory. With bloodwood ( may represent blood once spilled). Ivory is for purity and a change of sadness. Ebony, once known in ancient Egypt as farrows gold. For me I find that I like the depth of this gaboon ebony, black is also known to  absorb the negativity of evils.         I like the thought of it.                                         This is story about the spirit of joy, housing the special meanings, you wish to keep near. Stay tuned for the next update, there are few more surprises, inside and out, Wow I can't wait. Turning Ivory

Experiment in turning wet wood, finishing while wet.

Day 8 I lost track for a couple day. We had a show in Wickenburg AZ.. The temperature was in the low 80's. This bowl, that I suppose to be babying for the best condition for non-cracking. oh well the the hills with that. I had this bowl out in the heat for two days ( in the shaded area of the tent).  Look what happen. For almost three days I forgot it, due to a commercial job, locked away in a plastic storage box, along with other pieces we had for sale. Moisture dropped by 7% Here is the view of the bottom, after I added more shellac/alcohol mixture. While I was at the show, so far so good.  Here is the latest view of the interior with what looks like the same crack as we started with. Well look here the weight has also decreased Day 3.  Held with vacuum chuck. I looked at the bottom and decided it was way too thick. I turn the inside, after remounted it in the chuck, and fond it still to be pretty true. A surprise... This is the first tim...