Skip to main content

Aluminum lathe tool handle for 3/4" tooling


1.5 X 18", Aluminum lathe tool handle for 3/4" tooling
I bought a 36" X 1-1/2" round stock, from the scrap yard for 6 bucks. I cut it on the miter box to 18".

  
I started by rounding off, partly, to attach the 3 wheel steady ready rest.
I drilled one side to 5/8", starting with a 3/8" bit, stepping up 1/8" at a time.
I drilled the other end to 3/4", starting with 3/8" stepping up 1/8" at a time. All bits where jobber's. Sharpened as need, and boy did a couple of them need sharpening.


I wanted to add some grip, by routing 1/8" grooves. Didn't work as planned, so I managed to get two lines on it. Adding some grip and also as a indicator lines. 
Air sanding, finished up with gray synthetic steel wool, for a matte finish

Using my one way drill attachment, to drill for 1/4" tap.
out of order.....
I then mounted it between cones, friction fit.I tried a carbide cutter. I mostly use a 3/16 parting tool, sharpened really well.


Finished tool, only took about 6 hours, but its done. This picture show a comparison 
Some more of my tools to compare against. The handle and tool may weigh 3-1/2 ponds. Heavy and large diameter for my large hands. This tool will mainly be use along with a secound tool rest, and a laser attachment for deep hollowing. I post tool in use when I get chance.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The making of a sphere jig for the wood lathe, on the fly.

Aluminum block on wood lathe.  My goal is to create a sphere jig, (sounds so much better than a ball jig). First things first, I bought the One Way drill jig at the symposium, in Phoenix this year, with the thought of mounting a router. I never thought I would be using it on aluminum. This picture shows my first attempt at making a "T" washer to use to bolt the sphere jig. The second picture has the jig repositioned, parallel to the bed ways, I like this position much better, as it allows me to plunge to the depth I require. Then I reposition it, toward the center by + 1/8" or so. Also you need to play with the speed of the lathe. I believe I was some where around 250-300 rpm. This piece is a cut off, I never measured the thickness. it is just thicker than the 2 enclosed bearing I plan to mount. Also it's thicker because I wanted to add girth, to ensure more rigidity. This picture show the center knocked out. I used the router to go as thin a

Home made deep hollow system and bar

Turnings. A wood adventure