Skip to main content

The making of a cribbage board

The making of  a cribbage board, our first one, we ever made. I thought I would share the adventure.
       In this story, it begins with the wood used for the board itself. I fellow can into our woodturners meeting, and then he came b y my shop with a couple pieces Arizona salvage mesquite boards. Here is a little insight in how I went about creating a jig, ( in-which may need a little more tweaking). Click here to visit the page I went to for the pattern and layout, along the plans for a simple jig.
this is sample board made by hand. Supplied by the fellow supplying the wood. These orignal boards are being used as a refferance.

Here I am drilling the spacers.
 I use pre-finished plywood. I found it to be under sized. I suggest  that check too insure a full 1/4" thickness.

It a little funny. That the rod used here, i never measured the diameter, I grabbed a drill bit. That turned out to be perfect. After all was drilled, I checked to see the size. To my surprise, the inscription on the bit was "0". The point is that, it's not always about the precise Number. More on this to follow.  


 So here we go. I found that it is better to start from the center point, with the board against a stop block. Again this method is not dictating by the restraints on measuring.  So with that said, I will make another suggestion, start with a board of 4"x 12" and make sure the stop blocks are 1/4" in thickness.
 So the spacing. Once your start point and end points are determined. You need to drill 5 1/" holes, approximately 5/16" to 3/8" in depth , depending on the thickness of your materials.
Here is one of the final steps. I drilled the storage hole for the pins. Here we go again. The drill bit is on of my pen bits. This one is 15/32". Again 1/2" or even 3/8" if your wood is only 3/4". Ours was at least 7/8". The depth, just needs to be enough to house the pins.
I have not created any pins. I was thinking of turning them. How about bloodwood and ivory?????? Or just plan steal rod, easier, but a little plain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The making of a sphere jig for the wood lathe, on the fly.

Aluminum block on wood lathe.  My goal is to create a sphere jig, (sounds so much better than a ball jig). First things first, I bought the One Way drill jig at the symposium, in Phoenix this year, with the thought of mounting a router. I never thought I would be using it on aluminum. This picture shows my first attempt at making a "T" washer to use to bolt the sphere jig. The second picture has the jig repositioned, parallel to the bed ways, I like this position much better, as it allows me to plunge to the depth I require. Then I reposition it, toward the center by + 1/8" or so. Also you need to play with the speed of the lathe. I believe I was some where around 250-300 rpm. This piece is a cut off, I never measured the thickness. it is just thicker than the 2 enclosed bearing I plan to mount. Also it's thicker because I wanted to add girth, to ensure more rigidity. This picture show the center knocked out. I used the router to go as thin a

Home made deep hollow system and bar

Turnings. A wood adventure