Skip to main content

Crush grind part 2 the making of pepper mill

Crush Grind Mechanism 
http://www.gofundme.com/Gallery-du-Maurier Mounted blank


Cone used to center blank after drilled with 1-5/8" then 1=9/16, and final shaft with 1-16th. I had to reform the outside for the center rest to help with 1/4" x 1/8" deep groove for the clip in place.
drilling with 1-1/16" colt. I did cut grooves in the scoring blades. Which allow the cutter to cut and not score the wood. Cutting the wood is a cooler,, temperature, than scoring. Try it.
I start by shaping the top, to see what portion may work
Starting the shaping of the body
Tenon is form, the size was not important, as long as it fits....I then drilled with 7/8" forstner, ( all bits where touch up on the grinder, after finding a stone small enough to fit the slot in the forstner.... More time spent.... I then had to use the newly purchase slot cutting tool from Crown.
 Remounted on to jamb chuck to finish shaping the top, leaving the tail stock in place.
walla a shape appear, along with a small crack, cool...
I chose to fill it with turquiose, using CA glue, thin...
Here you have it.

I used my revolving tailstock to press in the top portion.
I use a premade ball jig chuck to press in the grinder into the base.
I had to make a jamb chuck, just to hold the finished body in place while I re-drill the bottom lip, The unit would not clip into place. It was hard to measure the depth. I'm sure it will get easier. I was wishing that the woodcraft store had the Sorby tool, it looked better laid out with an index line indicator.


Latest Mills
Completed after about 6 hour learning curve
http://www.gofundme.com/Gallery-du-Maurier


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The making of a sphere jig for the wood lathe, on the fly.

Aluminum block on wood lathe.  My goal is to create a sphere jig, (sounds so much better than a ball jig). First things first, I bought the One Way drill jig at the symposium, in Phoenix this year, with the thought of mounting a router. I never thought I would be using it on aluminum. This picture shows my first attempt at making a "T" washer to use to bolt the sphere jig. The second picture has the jig repositioned, parallel to the bed ways, I like this position much better, as it allows me to plunge to the depth I require. Then I reposition it, toward the center by + 1/8" or so. Also you need to play with the speed of the lathe. I believe I was some where around 250-300 rpm. This piece is a cut off, I never measured the thickness. it is just thicker than the 2 enclosed bearing I plan to mount. Also it's thicker because I wanted to add girth, to ensure more rigidity. This picture show the center knocked out. I used the router to go as thin a

Home made deep hollow system and bar

Turnings. A wood adventure