Skip to main content

Meeting Bill Tonneson and his art in Phoenix at his private party to showcase his latest project.

I will start by saying that I had the most interesting evening, last night, meeting and hanging out with Bill Tonneson and some impressive support group of his friends. ( thanks to my friend Chris Hester). Well  the man is first a tall man, and his wife has a great accent. I believe he has three almost full grown kids, that he clearly adores. Some of the people that was aware, but didn't directly meet were, Mr. & Mrs Kitchell, The mayor of Phoenix, the ex-mayor of Phoenix. A couple that where pointed out to me from the Hayden family. I did get mingle with, and pass business cards, to first young designer, living in the neighborhood, a fellow black american, architect and real estate developer, and three other architects, wow what networking success. Below I will share a few pictures from this evening pass.
Mr. Kitchel & Bill Tonneson

 Giving a brief seminar on vision of urban gentrification, and a brief discussion on commercial financing
Bills art

Bills idea of simple form

 This is his office at the new site om 12th stand Highland. Do Google it, it si very interesting. His art will also be inactive with public, he has set up a camera to run 24/7, with a phone, so he or one his staff can call who ever picks it up and etheir give pre-recorded messages or a live person will be there to poke fun at the innocent person whom picked up the phone. Sounds like fun, can't wait to see the clips on facebook.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The making of a sphere jig for the wood lathe, on the fly.

Aluminum block on wood lathe.  My goal is to create a sphere jig, (sounds so much better than a ball jig). First things first, I bought the One Way drill jig at the symposium, in Phoenix this year, with the thought of mounting a router. I never thought I would be using it on aluminum. This picture shows my first attempt at making a "T" washer to use to bolt the sphere jig. The second picture has the jig repositioned, parallel to the bed ways, I like this position much better, as it allows me to plunge to the depth I require. Then I reposition it, toward the center by + 1/8" or so. Also you need to play with the speed of the lathe. I believe I was some where around 250-300 rpm. This piece is a cut off, I never measured the thickness. it is just thicker than the 2 enclosed bearing I plan to mount. Also it's thicker because I wanted to add girth, to ensure more rigidity. This picture show the center knocked out. I used the router to go as thin a...
Wow I can not express the excitement I am enjoying in the creation of this piece. The final is a donated scrap of ivory, hooray. I have never turned ivory before. Truly something special. This vessel, is a song ebony and ivory. With bloodwood ( may represent blood once spilled). Ivory is for purity and a change of sadness. Ebony, once known in ancient Egypt as farrows gold. For me I find that I like the depth of this gaboon ebony, black is also known to  absorb the negativity of evils.         I like the thought of it.                                         This is story about the spirit of joy, housing the special meanings, you wish to keep near. Stay tuned for the next update, there are few more surprises, inside and out, Wow I can't wait. Turning Ivory

Experiment in turning wet wood, finishing while wet.

Day 8 I lost track for a couple day. We had a show in Wickenburg AZ.. The temperature was in the low 80's. This bowl, that I suppose to be babying for the best condition for non-cracking. oh well the the hills with that. I had this bowl out in the heat for two days ( in the shaded area of the tent).  Look what happen. For almost three days I forgot it, due to a commercial job, locked away in a plastic storage box, along with other pieces we had for sale. Moisture dropped by 7% Here is the view of the bottom, after I added more shellac/alcohol mixture. While I was at the show, so far so good.  Here is the latest view of the interior with what looks like the same crack as we started with. Well look here the weight has also decreased Day 3.  Held with vacuum chuck. I looked at the bottom and decided it was way too thick. I turn the inside, after remounted it in the chuck, and fond it still to be pretty true. A surprise... This is the first tim...