Skip to main content

A Black mans dream in america





Living the dream

by Gerard Merchant (Notes) on Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 1:08am
Living the dream:

Another part of the story of the black american woodworker.
Many years ago I was told that it is a good idea to sit down and write out your dreams.
Well many years ago I did just that. I am lucky that I always carry this dreams, goals in a part of my brain that wakes up and lets me know that I am either in the process of realizing a portion or I am about to manifest, what seems as a dream walk in the here and now. Let tell you about one part of said dream, goal for my life.
I believe it started with what I wanted to do with my skills that have lucky enogh to have as a woodworker.
The part I am sharing just came to me. I'll start by telling a portion of my day. It started just like any other day or weekend, I left the house to go to the locale Woodcraft Store, and they had a wood tap waiting for me to pick up. I brought my new portfolio on some turned vessels I created, along with the latest turning I’m working, because I love the support they give me, help fuel my creativity. I then made to the shop and started to work on several things at one time, as usual. My partner then showed up, all along the same time, my brother in-law was their working some cabinets, Mario a part time employee was also there, working his project of building some kitchen cabinets. Mario and Robert,, my partner are protégé’s of mine, (I taught most what they knowing woodworking). A little later Roberts’s brother stopped by for a visit, and to see what we were working on. A little later a man ( I don't know his name) dropped by to get some insight on woodworking. We met this man at the last Arts and Craft show in Tempe, Arizona. He came by for some instructions, techniques on turning to further his education in turning. A little more time passed and Chris came by to witness our woodworking, and to see what we were working on.
So tonight as I sit done I realized that these men who were all at the shop where there because I created this atmosphere of teaching, passing on my inspiration for woodworking. 
This was the part of my dream, goal I set for myself many years ago. was to has, create the circumstances, the environment to be able to teach the craft of woodworking. This is a great time in my life, to be able to do, follow my heart's desires in woodworking, in sharing, in creating something that may out live my life time. I am most grateful for the people that come by the shop, and allow me to share my love for woodworking. I begin to tell you satisfaction it gives me. They express sentiment for me and my work, as if I was some great, special, important. I guess to them I am. I hope to build a pond them and hopefully increase earnings, if by no other means than that they give me inspiration to be constantly creating new works of art, too be sold at later date. This is only part of what I have come to realize as living the dream


Mortallity
Woodworking and my mortality,something of me left for future generations. A legacy, some I leave behind. Its something that  I am working continuously to achieve. Never enough time in the day, too view days where there was enough covered, satisfaction of worth while day. A day not wasted.
  Getting older you look at your mortality, and just how short life really  is. You think how is it that I remember my own deceased relatives, and how is it that you will be remembered. For with out the the memories of your loved ones you leave behind. Why where you ever placed on this earth in the first place. . .   Your purpose here on earth, for this short time, is to make your small mark of  remembrance  by your loved ones, or to enrich the lives of all the persons you come into contact with.  Bring a smile, bring remembrance. Leave as many artifacts as possible. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The making of a sphere jig for the wood lathe, on the fly.

Aluminum block on wood lathe.  My goal is to create a sphere jig, (sounds so much better than a ball jig). First things first, I bought the One Way drill jig at the symposium, in Phoenix this year, with the thought of mounting a router. I never thought I would be using it on aluminum. This picture shows my first attempt at making a "T" washer to use to bolt the sphere jig. The second picture has the jig repositioned, parallel to the bed ways, I like this position much better, as it allows me to plunge to the depth I require. Then I reposition it, toward the center by + 1/8" or so. Also you need to play with the speed of the lathe. I believe I was some where around 250-300 rpm. This piece is a cut off, I never measured the thickness. it is just thicker than the 2 enclosed bearing I plan to mount. Also it's thicker because I wanted to add girth, to ensure more rigidity. This picture show the center knocked out. I used the router to go as thin a

Home made deep hollow system and bar

An Update of events happening at Gallery DuMaurier

Favorite lathe chisels  Gallery DuMaurier Bainbridge Pear, Big Leaf Maple Burl, Buckeye Burl& Box Elder Setting Nichols lathe Fresh Olive  Entering two of my works in two Arizona shows Pen and pencil set Buffalo horn and Ivory GOT IRONWOOD