Skip to main content

Refinishing kitchen cabinets & bath rooms

I started a job I always wanted to stay away from. With that said here we go into the Gerard process of refinishing a natural colored red oak cabinetry.
  I started by figuring out what would be the simplest process to maximize profit.
My first thought, after getting the job, was that I bid it too low. The homeowner added 300 bucks to the bid, bad sign in my eyes...
 The first step was to choose the color, they chose a nutmeg ( light walnut or brown stain color).
I removed 4 door from the master bedroom and brought back to the shop. I first tried to tone the doors, after wiping a deglosser on the doors. This did work, but I thought buildup over the existing finish was too thick. So I proceeded to strip the doors. I then washed the door to removed the stripper, with lacquer thinner.  after the doors dried , wiped on a wood stabilizer to seal the door from excepting too much stain and maybe looking blotchy. I then wiped on a lacquer base stain mixer I had from a previous job, it came out  a little  light, which was ok, because I wanted to spray on the next sealer coat of toner, (mixer of stain and low gloss lacquer, too acquire to color I was looking for. I then sprayed on the final two coats of clear low gloss lacquer. It came out great. I returned to get the home owner's approval. It was prefect. I then removed all of the drawer fronts and doors, too return them to shop for the same process.
 he next day I had to return to house to do the tedious job of trying to match the face frames to the doors. This was a quick, (not so quick) too see how I was going to accomplish this task. Well I decided to wipe them down with the deglosser, too remove built up residue and give it some adhesion for the stain. I then decided to sand with a small pancake compressor, ( need a larger one, but it worked).  I then wiped on a darker stain than I put on the doors, because I was not stripping the frames down to raw wood. This worked fairly well, reapplying as needed, reactivating first coat to also lighten up areas too dark. I then sprayed on a toner mixer, with door colored stain and lacquer. A few coats and and reworking ares as needed. be careful not to spray too heavy, it will cause runs, and you would have to sand and start from the beginning.  this process took me 5 hours to complete the kitchen area. Oh I must tell you about the end panels. The end panel where made from wood grained melamine, which was just a big question as to how accomplish the color adhering.  Well, I jumped into it by deglossing the panels, then wiping stain directly to the panels. This was working great, just have to watch the rag marks. I then spayed toner to get the finish look, Great job, it worked. well I have get the doors completed, and back to house to install. I let you know how it all came out with posted pictures of before and after, stay tuned for the final results of a job I never wanted to do....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The making of a sphere jig for the wood lathe, on the fly.

Aluminum block on wood lathe.  My goal is to create a sphere jig, (sounds so much better than a ball jig). First things first, I bought the One Way drill jig at the symposium, in Phoenix this year, with the thought of mounting a router. I never thought I would be using it on aluminum. This picture shows my first attempt at making a "T" washer to use to bolt the sphere jig. The second picture has the jig repositioned, parallel to the bed ways, I like this position much better, as it allows me to plunge to the depth I require. Then I reposition it, toward the center by + 1/8" or so. Also you need to play with the speed of the lathe. I believe I was some where around 250-300 rpm. This piece is a cut off, I never measured the thickness. it is just thicker than the 2 enclosed bearing I plan to mount. Also it's thicker because I wanted to add girth, to ensure more rigidity. This picture show the center knocked out. I used the router to go as thin a...
Wow I can not express the excitement I am enjoying in the creation of this piece. The final is a donated scrap of ivory, hooray. I have never turned ivory before. Truly something special. This vessel, is a song ebony and ivory. With bloodwood ( may represent blood once spilled). Ivory is for purity and a change of sadness. Ebony, once known in ancient Egypt as farrows gold. For me I find that I like the depth of this gaboon ebony, black is also known to  absorb the negativity of evils.         I like the thought of it.                                         This is story about the spirit of joy, housing the special meanings, you wish to keep near. Stay tuned for the next update, there are few more surprises, inside and out, Wow I can't wait. Turning Ivory

Experiment in turning wet wood, finishing while wet.

Day 8 I lost track for a couple day. We had a show in Wickenburg AZ.. The temperature was in the low 80's. This bowl, that I suppose to be babying for the best condition for non-cracking. oh well the the hills with that. I had this bowl out in the heat for two days ( in the shaded area of the tent).  Look what happen. For almost three days I forgot it, due to a commercial job, locked away in a plastic storage box, along with other pieces we had for sale. Moisture dropped by 7% Here is the view of the bottom, after I added more shellac/alcohol mixture. While I was at the show, so far so good.  Here is the latest view of the interior with what looks like the same crack as we started with. Well look here the weight has also decreased Day 3.  Held with vacuum chuck. I looked at the bottom and decided it was way too thick. I turn the inside, after remounted it in the chuck, and fond it still to be pretty true. A surprise... This is the first tim...