Skip to main content


Green turning, and my experiment. 

Willow Acacia, vessel. This is an experimental workings.

I started with green wood. cut about 6 weeks ago,

 maybe longer. stored out in the desert, mostly just through the winter.... 

started turning  while wet. I turned it thin as could muster. The base was

a little thick, and as I set it in a room to dry, it cracked, and the to top 

warped, which I liked. This is a very learning piece. As you can see, I 

remounted, and watched the wobble, I added the base because I was able 

to remount it.  The cracks, were filled with turquoise  and copper flakes. I 

added a  little vine like design. I will post better pics along with  the 

finishing process. Oh I am trying something different in the finishing. I 

mix shellac, alcohol, danish oil, and a little walnut oil. I will not a

walnut again, takes too long to dry. The shellac is to form a harder 

surface, the danish oil is for penetration,  and the alcohol is to help thin 

the solution and help in dispelling the water in the wood. Well this my 

theory. I also have a larger log on the big lathe and I have started this 

process early. By sealing the turning as I go....





 google+ link video


http://www.pinterest.com/pin/465418942713801228/ 

https://www.facebook.com/gmmergoogle+ link videochant



PhotoPhotoPhotoFist attempt for a lid.


PhotoPhoto2nd attempt, burmese rosewood finial.




PhotoPhotoPhotoFinal lid. Osage Orange finial, the tallest I've made thus far.
I will be showing this one at the American Association of Woodturners.
 http://www.woodturner.org/  in one week June 13,14 & 15th. Come join me.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The making of a sphere jig for the wood lathe, on the fly.

Aluminum block on wood lathe.  My goal is to create a sphere jig, (sounds so much better than a ball jig). First things first, I bought the One Way drill jig at the symposium, in Phoenix this year, with the thought of mounting a router. I never thought I would be using it on aluminum. This picture shows my first attempt at making a "T" washer to use to bolt the sphere jig. The second picture has the jig repositioned, parallel to the bed ways, I like this position much better, as it allows me to plunge to the depth I require. Then I reposition it, toward the center by + 1/8" or so. Also you need to play with the speed of the lathe. I believe I was some where around 250-300 rpm. This piece is a cut off, I never measured the thickness. it is just thicker than the 2 enclosed bearing I plan to mount. Also it's thicker because I wanted to add girth, to ensure more rigidity. This picture show the center knocked out. I used the router to go as thin a

Home made deep hollow system and bar

Turnings. A wood adventure