Skip to main content

SPHERE OF LIGHT





                         ARTIST STATEMENT 



Gerard Merchant (°1959, Lynchburg, United States) is an artist who mainly works in wood sculpture, allowing natural form to be reborn. By examining the ambiguity and origination via retakes and variations, Gerard considers creating works of art a gift which is executed using unclear and less formal rules and which should always refer to working with objects delivered via Mother Nature.
His sculptures never show the complete structure. This results in the fact that the artist can easily imagine his own interpretation without being hindered by the historical reality of what Mother Nature starts with. By choosing mainly formal solutions, he tries to develop forms that do not follow logical criteria, but are based only on subjective associations and formal parallels, which incite the viewer to make new personal associations.
His works are notable for their museum finish and tactile nature. This is of great importance and bears witness to great craftsmanship. By focusing on techniques and materials, he tries to increase the dynamic between movement and elements by objectifying emotions and investigating the duality that develops through different interpretations.
His works are based on formal associations which open a unique poetic vein. Multilayered images arise in which the fragility and instability of our seemingly certain reality is questioned. Gerard Merchant currently lives and works in Mesa.


It's hard to see, if you see it at all. I installed a LED battery operated Light for those who wish to see further into there immortal self.... Or use as a night light.... Follow , go into the light and find your peace.  The black ebony base will absorb the negativity from you or that in which are directed toward you. Use this sphere as a peaceful, cleansing point of time and space, YOURS...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The making of a sphere jig for the wood lathe, on the fly.

Aluminum block on wood lathe.  My goal is to create a sphere jig, (sounds so much better than a ball jig). First things first, I bought the One Way drill jig at the symposium, in Phoenix this year, with the thought of mounting a router. I never thought I would be using it on aluminum. This picture shows my first attempt at making a "T" washer to use to bolt the sphere jig. The second picture has the jig repositioned, parallel to the bed ways, I like this position much better, as it allows me to plunge to the depth I require. Then I reposition it, toward the center by + 1/8" or so. Also you need to play with the speed of the lathe. I believe I was some where around 250-300 rpm. This piece is a cut off, I never measured the thickness. it is just thicker than the 2 enclosed bearing I plan to mount. Also it's thicker because I wanted to add girth, to ensure more rigidity. This picture show the center knocked out. I used the router to go as thin a...
Wow I can not express the excitement I am enjoying in the creation of this piece. The final is a donated scrap of ivory, hooray. I have never turned ivory before. Truly something special. This vessel, is a song ebony and ivory. With bloodwood ( may represent blood once spilled). Ivory is for purity and a change of sadness. Ebony, once known in ancient Egypt as farrows gold. For me I find that I like the depth of this gaboon ebony, black is also known to  absorb the negativity of evils.         I like the thought of it.                                         This is story about the spirit of joy, housing the special meanings, you wish to keep near. Stay tuned for the next update, there are few more surprises, inside and out, Wow I can't wait. Turning Ivory

Experiment in turning wet wood, finishing while wet.

Day 8 I lost track for a couple day. We had a show in Wickenburg AZ.. The temperature was in the low 80's. This bowl, that I suppose to be babying for the best condition for non-cracking. oh well the the hills with that. I had this bowl out in the heat for two days ( in the shaded area of the tent).  Look what happen. For almost three days I forgot it, due to a commercial job, locked away in a plastic storage box, along with other pieces we had for sale. Moisture dropped by 7% Here is the view of the bottom, after I added more shellac/alcohol mixture. While I was at the show, so far so good.  Here is the latest view of the interior with what looks like the same crack as we started with. Well look here the weight has also decreased Day 3.  Held with vacuum chuck. I looked at the bottom and decided it was way too thick. I turn the inside, after remounted it in the chuck, and fond it still to be pretty true. A surprise... This is the first tim...