Skip to main content

Mesquite burl hollow vessel, using vacuum chuck for the first time.


Mesquite Burl hollow vessel  and it's life.Here is a general synopsis of hollow vessel work from the beginning to the end, almost end.

More pewter fill
Starting pewter fill



The base is glued and mortised in place
Can you image the difficulty in melting metal?


See Mortise and tenon
The reason I added mounting blank and pored pewter 
Now I can begin the fill



The view
Blocked view











Malikite, Pewter, Ironite and more...

The unfinished view 



I rigged my first attempt at vacuum chucking. Shrink wrap to cover leakage 
I use parts from a new Hold Fast system I never could get to work
Replaced the shrink wrap with scotch tape over one beetle hole. Vacuum gauge at 15-18 and holding.


 Here the is vacuum motor, on it's first run. It was recommended by to turning sites, here's one. http://www.jtturningtools.com/vacuumpumps-kits
I had to dial it down, and it held all three pieces.








Some of the crystals used shine through the reddish resin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The making of a sphere jig for the wood lathe, on the fly.

Aluminum block on wood lathe.  My goal is to create a sphere jig, (sounds so much better than a ball jig). First things first, I bought the One Way drill jig at the symposium, in Phoenix this year, with the thought of mounting a router. I never thought I would be using it on aluminum. This picture shows my first attempt at making a "T" washer to use to bolt the sphere jig. The second picture has the jig repositioned, parallel to the bed ways, I like this position much better, as it allows me to plunge to the depth I require. Then I reposition it, toward the center by + 1/8" or so. Also you need to play with the speed of the lathe. I believe I was some where around 250-300 rpm. This piece is a cut off, I never measured the thickness. it is just thicker than the 2 enclosed bearing I plan to mount. Also it's thicker because I wanted to add girth, to ensure more rigidity. This picture show the center knocked out. I used the router to go as thin a

Home made deep hollow system and bar

Turnings. A wood adventure