Skip to main content

Art my mind sees and my hands bring forth.

As I share a bit of whom I might be, through art my mind sees and my hand brings forth. I only reflect a process without many rules, reality not yet witnessed. What is, and has driven me, is a force beyond my control, an energy, manifested heretofore and hereafter my mortal flesh.
A glow dimmed by storm clouds directed not by untold path, a beginning and, an end, "I must create". Much is the way of love, a binding force that shapes your ever presence with and without your guiding hand. Love hurts so good, Expressed through despair, loneliness, prosperity and joy. Through the laughter of tears, "I MUST CREATE". In this short expression of whom I might be and what I may SEE AS ME, through the ever changing growth of my heart and sole, I look forward to all that maybe, the only legacy of a presence, once my time is no more. In this writing I may find a hint of the who, you see, that leads me down this wonderfully expressive journey so I might share, be recognized, to have a life of purpose for those who wish to share and witness, and be, if I'm lucky, inspired by the little space I have occupied in this short time. " Lets not forget, compensation is not without it's own reward". I am here with love ones, in my reality, and those yet to know my name. All give me strength, courage and patience to be Gerard Maurier Merchant.

Thank you for allowing me to share The Mind of a black Woodworker living for now in Arizona.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The making of a sphere jig for the wood lathe, on the fly.

Aluminum block on wood lathe.  My goal is to create a sphere jig, (sounds so much better than a ball jig). First things first, I bought the One Way drill jig at the symposium, in Phoenix this year, with the thought of mounting a router. I never thought I would be using it on aluminum. This picture shows my first attempt at making a "T" washer to use to bolt the sphere jig. The second picture has the jig repositioned, parallel to the bed ways, I like this position much better, as it allows me to plunge to the depth I require. Then I reposition it, toward the center by + 1/8" or so. Also you need to play with the speed of the lathe. I believe I was some where around 250-300 rpm. This piece is a cut off, I never measured the thickness. it is just thicker than the 2 enclosed bearing I plan to mount. Also it's thicker because I wanted to add girth, to ensure more rigidity. This picture show the center knocked out. I used the router to go as thin a...
Wow I can not express the excitement I am enjoying in the creation of this piece. The final is a donated scrap of ivory, hooray. I have never turned ivory before. Truly something special. This vessel, is a song ebony and ivory. With bloodwood ( may represent blood once spilled). Ivory is for purity and a change of sadness. Ebony, once known in ancient Egypt as farrows gold. For me I find that I like the depth of this gaboon ebony, black is also known to  absorb the negativity of evils.         I like the thought of it.                                         This is story about the spirit of joy, housing the special meanings, you wish to keep near. Stay tuned for the next update, there are few more surprises, inside and out, Wow I can't wait. Turning Ivory

Experiment in turning wet wood, finishing while wet.

Day 8 I lost track for a couple day. We had a show in Wickenburg AZ.. The temperature was in the low 80's. This bowl, that I suppose to be babying for the best condition for non-cracking. oh well the the hills with that. I had this bowl out in the heat for two days ( in the shaded area of the tent).  Look what happen. For almost three days I forgot it, due to a commercial job, locked away in a plastic storage box, along with other pieces we had for sale. Moisture dropped by 7% Here is the view of the bottom, after I added more shellac/alcohol mixture. While I was at the show, so far so good.  Here is the latest view of the interior with what looks like the same crack as we started with. Well look here the weight has also decreased Day 3.  Held with vacuum chuck. I looked at the bottom and decided it was way too thick. I turn the inside, after remounted it in the chuck, and fond it still to be pretty true. A surprise... This is the first tim...